Sunday, September 24, 2017

UPWC Devil's Dome route

On Sep 23 2017 I ran the UPWC Devil's Dome route in 14 hours and 50 mins. The route on my Suunto Movescount software shows 37.5 miles with 12,000 of gain. The UPWC web site shows the route as 45 miles. I did not have my gps on all day so I can not verify any distance.



Let the adventure begin, 4am and I am off toward Devil's park trail. This first part is easy travel. 


Jackita Ridge trail and I am climbing. The trail I used was to the right and below of where my gps showed. It got me to where I wanted to be. I think this might be a newer trail and the track on my gps was taken off old data. Here are some views of what was around me as I got up high and the sun was showing itself. 




As I was approaching this meadow in Devil's park I came upon a structure. You will see I am not alone out here. 



As I was hiking along the trail I found one of the fellows some of this gear belonged to. He and his two buddies were hunting. He commented how light I as traveling. I noted that his gun probably weight more than everything I was carrying. I did not see any deer and only one set of prints as I traveled along. Things are starting to get very nice out here as I am in the higher country. 


Jack mountain would hold its presence throughout the day for me.  I never tired of seeing many facets of it. I climbed Jack many years ago when I thought of trails like this as a means for getting to the real objective, the summit. 


Trail and snow. The snow did not hamper my travel. It added a nice contrast to the scenery. 


The larch trees are starting to turn. 


A view of the trail I descended on my journey. 



I will descend into this valley to ascend to some point on the ridge in the distance. 



Looking back on where I came from. It is very nice out here. 


More nice views. Come and see them for yourself. 


Devil's ridge, here I come. 


Does it get any better. 


I am tracking something? I am guessing it came through last night. 


Down I go, Ross lake sits between the mtns in the background and where I am descending. 

This is a very nice descent to Ross lake. I was able to run most of the trail. The trail was beat up a little where the horses had traveled through. Someone has done some very well done trail maintenance. 

Cruising time now. I remember how nice this trail is from when I did double desolation run. I can run a lot of this trail and all of it is well maintenanced. It is a joy to travel through the wilderness at speeds I choose based on my energy levels. 


Almost there and I will finish in the light! 

If you enjoy spending time in the wilderness in a very beautiful place, I would highly recommend this trip. It will go down as one of my favorite day out running in the mountains. Thanks Ras for posting this trip.  

No comments:

Post a Comment